Thursday, February 26, 2009

What's for dinner, Mom?

Many of you who know me have heard me say that I think that my name is "What's for dinner, Mom?" as opposed to plain ol' Mom. That is the first question my family asks me when they see me in the afternoon. When I am trying to watch my weight (never say diet!) dinner is hard for me. I have to prepare something that will satisfy my family and not blow the day for me! If I don't satisfy the group, it is snack time all evening, and that's another challenge!


Tonight, we are having flounder filets, broiled with a little butter and lemon, zucchini casserole (2 chopped zucchini, diced canned tomatoes, cut up green pepper& onion, minced garlic and 2 tsp. basil all stewed together w/salt and pepper, then put in a baking dish w/low fat mozarella on top. Bake at 350 for about 30 min.) and oven roasted potatoes.


My challenge, as always, is portion control. It's not what I eat, it's how much I eat! So a big part of my eating plan is to make sure to measure or weigh everything I eat. This may not be your issue. Yours may be different, but whatever it is, address it and deal with it! If you are addicted to junk food, throw it out or give it away -- get rid of it! If you are a late night eater, save some calories or points from the day, and use them to satisfy that urge. If you can not live without your daily chocolate fix, splurge on some good, fat free or low fat ice cream treats. Try air popped popcorn. Whatever it takes to keep you on track. I like those lite Laughing Cow cheese wedges, spread on celery or low fat triscuits as a low cal snack. Filling, salty and crunchy, that's the ticket for me. Figure out what it is that you need and go get it!


The only way to loose weight is to eat less and move more. Period. I watched the weight loss segment on the Today show this morning, and in a nutshell, that is what they said. Less calories, more exercise, slow and steady wins the race! They also said that people who have a good support group are more likely to loose pounds and keep them off.


Are you making time to get in a walk or exercise at all? You know, even marching in place while watching TV counts as exercise. Swing your arms around a little while you march. If you feel embarrassed, do it in your bedroom, in front of your TV. I have pink 5 lb. weights on the shelf under the tv in my room. No one sees me use them, but I do. Movement is movement, and it all adds up.

Hang in there, Girls! We can do this!

No comments: