Wednesday, June 23, 2010

As Promised, Delicious Salmon Spread

Here's a spread my family loves, both as an appetizer and for making sandwiches. My mother always made a Salmon Ball, for holidays or whenever she had cocktail parties. I took her original recipe, probably from the early 1960's, and adapted it for today's tastes and style. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Let me also say that my mother ALWAYS used canned salmon. I started using "fresh" because my family loves to have it for dinner and I always had some leftover, and I thought "Why not?". My husband has the definite opinion that he absolutely prefers this spread made with the "fresh", but my kids don't seem to have a preference, they snarf it up either way I make it! As for me, I will say that there is some textural difference. The canned salmon makes a smoother, almost, whipped spread. I like it both ways, though. Salmon Spread 12 oz. fresh baked or canned salmon 10 oz. "lite" cream cheese (neufchatel) 2 T. lemon juice 1/4 onion 1 - 2 T. prepared horseradish 2 drops Worcestershire sauce 1 tsp. dried dill or 1 T. chopped fresh dill The easiest way to do this is to throw everything into a food processor and pulse away. If you don't have one, bring the cream cheese to room temperature, grate the onion and mix, mix, mix away until you get a mostly smooth spread. That's how my mom did it, but personally, I like my food processor! Serve this with party rye bread, fresh cucumbers, club crackers, chopped hard boiled egg, capers and garnish with some fresh dill or flat leaf parsley. To make a sandwich, thinly spread a piece of rye bread w/the spread, top that with thin sliced cucumbers and a little shredded lettuce, salt and pepper and another piece of rye. Summery time yummy sandwich!

No comments: